Tika
  1. Tika
  2. TIKA-558

Problems/inconsistency with jar edu.ucar:netcdf:4.2 used by Tika 0.8

    Details

    • Type: Bug Bug
    • Status: Resolved
    • Priority: Minor Minor
    • Resolution: Duplicate
    • Affects Version/s: 0.8
    • Fix Version/s: None
    • Component/s: general
    • Labels:
      None

      Description

      I use Maven to build my application. Part of this application is Tika. I previously used Tika 0.4 with no problem BUT when I updated my pom to use Tika 0.8 I got into serious logging problems. Tracked down the problem to the edu.ucar:netcdf:4.2 jar that tika 0.8 depends on.

      The jar that was served by a Maven repository via the Tika dependency (1) was 10.9 MB BUT if I manually download "the same" jar from the manufacturer (2) via http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf-java/ it is 3.9 MB!

      => The jar downloaded via Maven (1) contains compiled code from external libraries!

      I wouldn't dare to use the jar downloaded from the manufacturer (2) so I had to strip the maven jar (1) from the "org" end "net" packages. These packages seems to contain code that should be registered as dependencies instead:

      <dependency>
      <groupId>commons-logging</groupId>
      <artifactId>commons-logging</artifactId>
      <version>1.1</version>
      </dependency>
      <dependency>
      <groupId>commons-codec</groupId>
      <artifactId>commons-codec</artifactId>
      <version>1.3</version>
      </dependency>
      <dependency>
      <groupId>commons-httpclient</groupId>
      <artifactId>commons-httpclient</artifactId>
      <version>3.1</version>
      </dependency>
      <dependency>
      <groupId>jdom</groupId>
      <artifactId>jdom</artifactId>
      <version>1.0</version>
      </dependency>
      <dependency>
      <groupId>org.slf4j</groupId>
      <artifactId>slf4j-api</artifactId>
      <version>1.5.6</version>
      </dependency>
      <dependency>
      <groupId>org.slf4j</groupId>
      <artifactId>slf4j-log4j12</artifactId>
      <version>1.5.6</version>
      </dependency>
      <dependency>
      <groupId>net.jcip</groupId>
      <artifactId>jcip-annotations</artifactId>
      <version>1.0</version>
      </dependency>

      All this raises a fundamental question: WHICH jar is the correct one to use?

      • Should the "Maven" jar be updated (stripped and depandencies added to the pom)
        or
      • Should the "Manufacturer" jar be used (upload a new jar to the Maven repository that serves the edu.ucar:netcdf:4.2 jar)

      Regardless - Tika 0.8 and later should use and depend on libraries that are properly built and doesn't cause any unexpected bahaviour.

      /Magnus, SiteVision AB

        Issue Links

          Activity

            People

            • Assignee:
              Unassigned
              Reporter:
              Guest
            • Votes:
              0 Vote for this issue
              Watchers:
              0 Start watching this issue

              Dates

              • Created:
                Updated:
                Resolved:

                Development