Tapestry
  1. Tapestry
  2. TAPESTRY-893

Application Catalog for i18n does not work

    Details

    • Type: Improvement Improvement
    • Status: Closed
    • Priority: Major Major
    • Resolution: Won't Fix
    • Affects Version/s: 3.0.5
    • Fix Version/s: 3.0.5
    • Component/s: Framework
    • Labels:
      None
    • Environment:
      Windows 2000, Unix

      Description

      If I remove all page-specific catalogs (.properties files) and have an application catalog (myapplication.properties) in WEB-INF, Tapestry does not detect it. It is documented as working, but it does not. I am forced to have page catalogs.

        Activity

        Hide
        Brian K. Wallace added a comment -

        Are you sure your application properties file is named the same as the application itself? I have one site in particular that has only an applciation property file with no page properties that works correctly.

        Any more information on your specific circumstance would be helpful so it can be verified and tested.

        Show
        Brian K. Wallace added a comment - Are you sure your application properties file is named the same as the application itself? I have one site in particular that has only an applciation property file with no page properties that works correctly. Any more information on your specific circumstance would be helpful so it can be verified and tested.
        Hide
        Andreas Andreou added a comment -

        Where is this documented?
        Application catalogs were introduced in Tapestry 4.
        But there are many ways to simulate this behaviour in 3.0.3, i.e. by using a custom engine.

        Show
        Andreas Andreou added a comment - Where is this documented? Application catalogs were introduced in Tapestry 4. But there are many ways to simulate this behaviour in 3.0.3, i.e. by using a custom engine.
        Hide
        Mike Barber added a comment -

        Yes. If I have an application called myapp, I have a file in WEB-INF called myapp.application. I tried myapp.properties, but with no success.

        Show
        Mike Barber added a comment - Yes. If I have an application called myapp, I have a file in WEB-INF called myapp.application. I tried myapp.properties, but with no success.
        Show
        Mike Barber added a comment - http://jakarta.apache.org/tapestry/UsersGuide/localization.html
        Hide
        Brian K. Wallace added a comment -

        That link is indeed for 4.0 documentation. The link for 3.0.3 documentation is http://jakarta.apache.org/tapestry/3.0.3/doc/TapestryUsersGuide/TapestryUsersGuide.html

        [My apologies, I didn't look at the version you reported against in my first reply]

        Show
        Brian K. Wallace added a comment - That link is indeed for 4.0 documentation. The link for 3.0.3 documentation is http://jakarta.apache.org/tapestry/3.0.3/doc/TapestryUsersGuide/TapestryUsersGuide.html [My apologies, I didn't look at the version you reported against in my first reply]
        Hide
        Mike Barber added a comment -

        I suspected as much....the page doesn't clearly indicate that 4.0 is the reference version. Oh well. From what I understand, coding a custom engine is not a trivial process.

        I retract my claim that this is a bug, but it seems to me that it would not take much to implement in 3.x. Basically, when you access the page catalog, if the getMessage() fails, just look for an application catalog. Maybe just a few lines of IO code. This would allow me to have a master application catalog, and small page catalog that could override a few messages and add a few new messages.

        I coded a workaround in my own code with custom ValidFields and such, but it's really not an acceptable way to go about it. It requires my fellow devs to do too much, and is a maintenance quagmire.

        If the fix/enhancement is simple (I suspect so), this would be a great improvement to Tapestry 3 (as we can see in Tapestry 4).

        Show
        Mike Barber added a comment - I suspected as much....the page doesn't clearly indicate that 4.0 is the reference version. Oh well. From what I understand, coding a custom engine is not a trivial process. I retract my claim that this is a bug, but it seems to me that it would not take much to implement in 3.x. Basically, when you access the page catalog, if the getMessage() fails, just look for an application catalog. Maybe just a few lines of IO code. This would allow me to have a master application catalog, and small page catalog that could override a few messages and add a few new messages. I coded a workaround in my own code with custom ValidFields and such, but it's really not an acceptable way to go about it. It requires my fellow devs to do too much, and is a maintenance quagmire. If the fix/enhancement is simple (I suspect so), this would be a great improvement to Tapestry 3 (as we can see in Tapestry 4).

          People

          • Assignee:
            Unassigned
            Reporter:
            Mike Barber
          • Votes:
            0 Vote for this issue
            Watchers:
            0 Start watching this issue

            Dates

            • Created:
              Updated:
              Resolved:

              Development