This issue is also discussed on the mailing list:
It proved that for a term search, all documents would have the same score, equal to the payload value of the first document:
with result: https://gist.github.com/maephisto/8433641
I tried building a simple payloads example using the stock Solr/Lucene 4.6.0. I created a custom similarity and a custom query parser - built my plugin and tested it out.
collection1 schema.xml changes: https://gist.github.com/maephisto/8433537
collection1 sorlconfig.xml changes: https://gist.github.com/maephisto/8433550
custom similarity: https://gist.github.com/maephisto/8433263
custom query parser: https://gist.github.com/maephisto/8433217
documents added: https://gist.github.com/maephisto/8433719
I tested it with Solr/Lucene4.6.0 stock example. The plugin was built using NetBeans.
I used gists inside the ticket in order to keep the description shorter.