Affects Version/s: None
Fix Version/s: 6.0
This is an issue to track a series of sub issues related to deprecated and crufty Servlet/REST API code. I'll create sub-tasks to manage them.
- Clean up all the old UI stuff (old redirects)
- Kill/Simplify SolrDispatchFilter – for instance, why not make the user always have a core name in 5.0? i.e. /collection1 is the default core
- I'd like to move to just using Guice's servlet extension to do this, which, I think will also make it easier to run Solr in other containers (i.e. non-servlet environments) due to the fact that you don't have to tie the request handling logic specifically to a Servlet.
- Simplify the creation and testing of REST and other APIs via Guice + Restlet, which I've done on a number of occasions.
- It might be also possible to move all of the APIs onto Restlet and maintain back compat through a simple restlet proxy (still exploring this). This would also have the benefit of abstracting the core request processing out of the Servlet context and make that an implementation detail.
- Moving to Guice, IMO, will make it easier to isolate and test individual components by being able to inject mocks easier.
I am close to a working patch for some of this. I will post incremental updates/issues as I move forward on this, but I think we should take 5.x as an opportunity to be more agnostic of container and I believe the approach I have in mind will do so.
|Remove Default Core||Closed||Unassigned|