Solr
  1. Solr
  2. SOLR-3439

Make SolrCell easier to use out of the box

    Details

      Description

      Currently, SolrCell is configured to map Tika "content" (the main body of a document) to the "text" field which is the indexed-only (not stored) catch-all for default queries. That searches fine, but doesn't show the document content in the results, sometimes leading users to think that something is wrong. Sure, the user can easily add the field (and this is documented), but it would be a better user experience to have such a basic feature work right out of the box without any config editing and without the need for the user to read the fine print in the documentation.

      I propose that we add the "content" field to the example schema in the section of fields already defined to support SolrCell metadata.

      1. SOLR-3439.patch
        2 kB
        Jack Krupansky
      2. SOLR-3439.patch
        16 kB
        Jan Høydahl
      3. SOLR-3439.patch
        16 kB
        Jan Høydahl
      4. SOLR-3439.patch
        18 kB
        Jan Høydahl
      5. SOLR-3439.patch
        19 kB
        Jan Høydahl
      6. SOLR-3439.patch
        53 kB
        Jan Høydahl
      7. SOLR-3439.patch
        53 kB
        Jan Høydahl
      8. Lincoln-Gettysburg-Address.pdf
        196 kB
        Jack Krupansky
      9. Lincoln-Gettysburg-Address.docx
        12 kB
        Jack Krupansky
      10. filetypes.zip
        107 kB
        Jan Høydahl

        Issue Links

          Activity

          Uwe Schindler made changes -
          Status Resolved [ 5 ] Closed [ 6 ]
          Jan Høydahl made changes -
          Status Open [ 1 ] Resolved [ 5 ]
          Resolution Fixed [ 1 ]
          Jan Høydahl made changes -
          Attachment SOLR-3439.patch [ 12539129 ]
          Jan Høydahl made changes -
          Attachment filetypes.zip [ 12537926 ]
          Jan Høydahl made changes -
          Attachment SOLR-3439.patch [ 12537922 ]
          Jan Høydahl made changes -
          Attachment SOLR-3439.patch [ 12537783 ]
          Jan Høydahl made changes -
          Link This issue relates to SOLR-3672 [ SOLR-3672 ]
          Jan Høydahl made changes -
          Attachment SOLR-3439.patch [ 12537567 ]
          Jan Høydahl made changes -
          Attachment SOLR-3439.patch [ 12537532 ]
          Jan Høydahl made changes -
          Fix Version/s 5.0 [ 12321664 ]
          Jan Høydahl made changes -
          Attachment SOLR-3439.patch [ 12537531 ]
          Jan Høydahl made changes -
          Summary Add "content" field to example schema to make SolrCell easier to use out of the box Make SolrCell easier to use out of the box
          Description Currently, SolrCell is configured to map Tika "content" (the main body of a document) to the "text" field which is the indexed-only (not stored) catch-all for default queries. That searches fine, but doesn't show the document content in the results, sometimes leading users to think that something is wrong. Sure, the user can easily add the field (and this is documented), but it would be a better user experience to have such a basic feature work right out of the box without any config editing and without the need for the user to read the fine print in the documentation.

          I propose that we add the "content" field to the example schema in the section of fields already defined to support SolrCell metadata. It would be stored and indexed.

          I further propose that a copyField be added for the "title", "description", (and maybe a couple of others) and "content" fields to add them to the "text" field for searching. Again, trying to improve the out of the box user experience. It also simplifies testing - less setup.
          Currently, SolrCell is configured to map Tika "content" (the main body of a document) to the "text" field which is the indexed-only (not stored) catch-all for default queries. That searches fine, but doesn't show the document content in the results, sometimes leading users to think that something is wrong. Sure, the user can easily add the field (and this is documented), but it would be a better user experience to have such a basic feature work right out of the box without any config editing and without the need for the user to read the fine print in the documentation.

          I propose that we add the "content" field to the example schema in the section of fields already defined to support SolrCell metadata.
          Jan Høydahl made changes -
          Assignee Jan Høydahl [ janhoy ]
          Hoss Man made changes -
          Fix Version/s 4.0 [ 12322455 ]
          Fix Version/s 4.0-ALPHA [ 12314992 ]
          Jack Krupansky made changes -
          Attachment SOLR-3439.patch [ 12525780 ]
          Jack Krupansky made changes -
          Attachment Lincoln-Gettysburg-Address.pdf [ 12525777 ]
          Attachment Lincoln-Gettysburg-Address.docx [ 12525776 ]
          Jan Høydahl made changes -
          Field Original Value New Value
          Fix Version/s 4.0 [ 12314992 ]
          Jack Krupansky created issue -

            People

            • Assignee:
              Jan Høydahl
              Reporter:
              Jack Krupansky
            • Votes:
              1 Vote for this issue
              Watchers:
              3 Start watching this issue

              Dates

              • Created:
                Updated:
                Resolved:

                Development