Uploaded image for project: 'Solr'
  1. Solr
  2. SOLR-1916

investigate DIH use of default locale

    Details

    • Type: Task
    • Status: Closed
    • Priority: Major
    • Resolution: Fixed
    • Affects Version/s: 3.1, 4.0-ALPHA
    • Fix Version/s: 4.1, 6.0
    • Labels:
      None

      Description

      This is a spinoff from LUCENE-2466.

      In this issue I changed my locale to various locales and found some problems in Lucene/Solr triggered by use of the default Locale.

      I noticed some use of the default-locale for Date operations in DIH (TimeZone.getDefault/Locale.getDefault) and, while no tests fail, I think it might be better to support a locale parameter for this.

      The wiki documents that numeric parsing can support localized numerics formats: http://wiki.apache.org/solr/DataImportHandler#NumberFormatTransformer

      In both cases, I don't think we should ever use the default Locale. If no Locale is provided, I find that new Locale("") <-- Unicode Root Locale, is a better default for a server situation in a lot of cases, as it won't change depending on the computer, or perhaps we just make Locale params mandatory for this.

      Finally, in both cases, if localized numbers/dates are explicitly supported, I think we should come up with a test strategy to ensure everything is working. One idea is to do something similar to or make use of Lucene's LocalizedTestCase.

        Attachments

        1. SOLR-1916.patch
          6 kB
          James Dyer
        2. SOLR-1916.patch
          0.8 kB
          Robert Muir

          Issue Links

            Activity

              People

              • Assignee:
                jdyer James Dyer
                Reporter:
                rcmuir Robert Muir
              • Votes:
                0 Vote for this issue
                Watchers:
                2 Start watching this issue

                Dates

                • Created:
                  Updated:
                  Resolved: