OK, I tried Tommaso's patch and it worked great. However, using the solr.war that came with the 1.4.1 distribution, it still gave the NoSuchMethodError. However, when I try the patched and newly-recompiled apache-solr-1.4.2-dev.war, it worked. I thought I tried that before with the other patches and it didn't work. In any case, it seems to be working with the following:
SOLR_DIST=the folder where the solr 1.4.1 distribution was unzipped.
SOLR_HOME=the folder where tomcat or jetty will look to load SOLR.
1) fresh copy of solr 1.4.1 distribution unzipped to SOLR_DIST
2) update SOLR_DIST/contrib/extraction/lib with the following:
(and remove old tika and pdfbox-related jars)
3) patch with Tommaso's patch above in the SOLR_DIST directory:
patch -p0 < SOLR1902_patch_to_141.txt
4) still in SOLR_DIST, run "ant dist"
5) copy SOLR_DIST/dist/*.jar to SOLR_HOME/lib
6) copy SOLR_DIST/dist/solrj-lib to SOLR_HOME/lib/solrj-lib
7) copy SOLR_DIST/dist/apache-solr-1.4.2-dev.war to SOLR_HOME/
8) remove SOLR_HOME/contrib/extraction/lib/*.jar
9) copy SOLR_DIST/contrib/extraction/lib/*.jar to SOLR_HOME/contrib/extraction/lib/
10) (for me in tomcat) add CATALINA_HOME/conf/Catalina/localhost/solr.xml with the following content (substitute the actual directory for <SOLR_HOME> as that is not correct syntax):
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<Context docBase="<SOLR_HOME>\apache-solr-1.4.2-dev.war" debug="0" crossContext="true">
<Environment name="solr/home" type="java.lang.String" value="<SOLR_HOME>" override="true"/>
11) restart tomcat.
12) upload content via curl.
13) jump for joy when it doesn't crash on me again...=)