Affects Version/s: None
Fix Version/s: None
The reference guide Solr tutorial is here:
It needs to be simplified and easy to follow. Also, it should reflect our best practices, that should also be followed in production. I have following suggestions:
- Make it less verbose. It is too long. On my laptop, it required 35 page downs button presses to get to the bottom of the page!
- First step of the tutorial should be to enable security (basic auth should suffice).
- ./bin/solr start
e cloud<- All references of -e should be removed.
- All references of bin/solr post to be replaced with curl
- Convert all bin/solr create references to curl of collection creation commands
- Add docker based startup instructions.
- Create a Jupyter Notebook version of the entire tutorial, make it so that it can be easily executed from Google Colaboratory. Here's an example: https://twitter.com/TheSearchStack/status/1289703715981496320
- Provide downloadable Postman and Insomnia files so that the same tutorial can be executed from those tools. Except for starting Solr, all other steps should be possible to be carried out from those tools.
- Use V2 APIs everywhere in the tutorial
- Remove all example modes, sample data (films, tech products etc.), configsets from Solr's distribution (instead let the examples refer to them from github)
- Remove the post tool from Solr, curl should suffice.