Solr , currently ,is not very suitable for a large no:of homogeneous cores where you require fast/frequent loading/unloading of cores . usually a core is required to be loaded just to fire a search query or to just index one document
The requirements of such a system are.
- Very efficient loading of cores . Solr cannot afford to read and parse and create Schema, SolrConfig Objects for each core each time the core has to be loaded (
- START STOP core . Currently it is only possible to unload a core (
- Automatic loading of cores . If a core is present and it is not loaded and a request comes for that load it automatically before serving up a request
- As there are a large no:of cores , all the cores cannot be kept loaded always. There has to be an upper limit beyond which we need to unload a few cores (probably the least recently used ones)
- Automatic allotment of dataDir for cores. If the no:of cores is too high al the cores' dataDirs cannot live in the same dir. There is an upper limit on the no:of dirs you can create in a unix dir w/o affecting performance