Affects Version/s: 0.5.0
Fix Version/s: 0.5.0
Need an adaptor for v0.5
Idea I posted earlier:
What do you think of this idea for a simple adaptor:
- Adaptor extends App
- Adaptor can send events but not receive (for now)
- Adaptor is deployed as a regular App to the S4 cluster and as an
Adaptor type in a host (separate from the S4 cluster).
- Adaptor, unlike regular apps, can accept event data (in any format)
directly, not via comm layer.
- Input data is transformed into S4 events using a modular approach
and by providing standard modules such as JSON.
- Output events are exposed using EventSource and consumed by other
apps without even knowing that they are Adaptors (only the App type is
exposed in the cluster).
- S4 events can be processed locally using PEs and Streams as usual.
(We kind of need to get a local Sender for the local PEs and a
standard cluster Sender for the EventSource object.)
So why this approach?
- Seems to be the least disruptive way to inject external events
- Apps can easily consume the events in a modular way without any
dependencies. Getting events from an adaptor or from another app is
- The adaptor would be packaged and deployed to the cluster as if it
was an App (no incremental cost)
- The adaptor can do preprocessing using the same programming model
and can reuse PEs.
- We need to also deploy the Adaptor in a separate host. On the other
hand, this is inevitable. At least we use the same approach instead of
creating a different system.
- The Adaptor will need to be integrated with ZK to get the physical addresses.
- We need to deal with two senders.
for later: two-way communication and adapter clusters.
|Remove file-based configurations||Resolved|