Since the java code generation part has moved to parquet-mr there is no reason (and it is misleading) to still keep these java files in the parquet-format repo and to release in a jar format.
The proposal is the following:
- Remove java code from the repository and update the pom.xml accordingly
- Keep the unit tests (to validate the PRs) but don't include them in the release. (We might release a separate -tests jar.)
- Release in a zip format instead of a jar. The zip would contain all the documentation and the parquet.thrift file
- Also move the dremel paper from parquet-mr to parquet-format
- Update the How to release doc