Many new projects using RADiX typically go through the procedure of configuring the RADiX file manager catalog to use Solr as the default cataloger. In my opinion, there is strong motivation to make Solr the default catalog for RADiX FileManager component to save time and effort for people. Please let me know what you all think!
Some immediate benefits to doing the above:
1. Previous Lucene-type queries of the FileManager will still work
2. Solr includes some amazing search features by default, through its webapp. Including this webapp by default will give users a new GUI-based method of querying their catalogs.
3. Save time and effort converting RADiX to use Solr on a per-project basis, but at the same time, make it trivial to switch back to Lucene if that's what is desired (i.e. via the filemgr.properties file).
At a basic development level, here's what will need to be done:
1. Incorporate the Solr catalog as part of the RADiX build/package process
2. Incorporate the Solr webapp into RADiX
3. Ensure the RADiX FileManager uses Solr as the default catalog
If the above is successful, we may even want to try making the original (non-RADiX) FileManager use Solr as the default catalog. There may be benefits here too.