The current DocumentStore API needs to be improved to support new requirements, for example
OAK-3001, to avoid "instanceof XYZDocumentStore" in the DocumentNodeStore implementation, to possibly improve performance, and to make it (more) future-proof.
- Improved query functionality to support many constraints (currently, DocumentStore.query only fromKey, toKey, and startValue).
- Allow query results to not be ordered by key if not needed at the caller side.
- Maybe support remove with constraints (for
- Define if only the whole document is needed, or just the key, or the key plus some of its properties.
- Define how old the result can be (is it allowed to return cached documents, how fresh does the result need to be, is it allowed to return some cached and some new documents).
- In case of version changes in the data model (additional collections, additional indexes), allow to work with existing data, possibly without having to upgrade the store (maybe in read-only mode).
Documentation might need to be improved to cover the data model as well (list of collections, list of indexes, possibility of additional indexes), and expected performance characteristics.
There are some options questions:
- Should we backport this change (to the 1.0 and / or 1.2 branch)?
- Should we keep the current API (DocumentStore.query for example)?