Hi Ferdy, I am very happy with this. It's been a bit of a sticky one as I'm sure you'll agree. Anyway, one comment I have is that, I removed the jdom deps because I thought somewhere down the line a transitive dependency was mucking things up. As we now know this is not the case, I notice that you added one of the jdom dependencies back in. If you look at the current ivy.xml file in our svn area, you'll see the presence of two jdom dependencies, one appears to be for tests and the other I assume for runtime configuration.
I've tested this patch against our test suite e.g. ant test, and confirm that all tests pass successfully. I've also run the benchmark but will comment about this elsewhere where it is relevant.
If we can clear up the jdom discrepancy I note above then I am +1 on this one. Great work Ferdy.