Dependency Management has come to .NET - and Microsoft has taken care of it. That means, to be successful we have to integrate.
NuGet is for dependency management, and the nuget gallery has a couple of hundred OS packages online already.
I think it should be fairly easy to create a repository layout for those and integrated it with maven.
Nothing is easy.
For a first release, we should at least support following scenarios:
- Resolve library dependencies from nuget repositories / nuget.org (this will be a huge benefit!, right away.)
How should we do this? Wagon, repository layout? I do not know enough about maven yet.
Also, which portions of a *.npkg should we support? It has some conventions, but supports very much any content you can put in a zip. It also has visual-studio-specific things in it. Have to investigate more here.
How do we talk to nuget.org? Via Nuget.Core?
- Generate nuspec-file from pom, or if it exsits, patch it
This will make it easier to pack and push nuget packages, even if this is not automated yet.
- Create a '*.npkg' on 'package' and attach as 'nuget-package'
We need to add a new type != dotnet-*. Should this be part of npanday?
- Install *.npgkg to local nuget repository on 'install'
Is there any standard for this? If not, will we invent one?
- Push *.npkg to nuget.org on 'deploy'
That shouldn't be to hard.
- Nuget-Packages for VS 2005 and 2008
- Nuget outside of Visual Studio (currently the cmd-line tool does not do more than download and unzip)
- Minimod support
- further ideas?