I have a project with the dependency
Which in turn has the following dependency:
When building this project maven also downloads snapshot versions of this artifact from "https://maven.java.net/content/repositories/snapshots/org/glassfish/javax.el/maven-metadata.xml"
However, if in my pom I add an exclusion for javax.el under javax.servlet.jsp, and then add that exact same dependency it does not attempt to download the snapshot version
1) Create a maven project containing only the attached pom.xml.
2) Compile the attached pom as is, see that it downloads the snapshot version
3) Unignore the exclusion and the dependency
4) Delete <local-repo>/org/glassfish/javax.el (with sub directories)
5) Re-compile to see it does not download the snapshot version