Uploaded image for project: 'Hadoop Map/Reduce'
  1. Hadoop Map/Reduce
  2. MAPREDUCE-7133

History Server task attempts REST API returns invalid data

    Details

    • Hadoop Flags:
      Reviewed

      Description

      When we send a request to History Server with headers : Accept: application/json https://nodename:19888/ws/v1/history/mapreduce/jobs/job_1535363926925_0040/tasks/task_1535363926925_0040_r_000003/attempts 
      we get the following JSON:

      {
      "taskAttempts": {
      "taskAttempt": [{
      "type": "reduceTaskAttemptInfo",
      "startTime": 1535372984638,
      "finishTime": 1535372986149,
      "elapsedTime": 1511,
      "progress": 100.0,
      "id": "attempt_1535363926925_0040_r_000003_0",
      "rack": "/default-rack",
      "state": "SUCCEEDED",
      "status": "reduce > reduce",
      "nodeHttpAddress": "node2.cluster.com:8044",
      "diagnostics": "",
      "type": "REDUCE",
      "assignedContainerId": "container_e01_1535363926925_0040_01_000006",
      "shuffleFinishTime": 1535372986056,
      "mergeFinishTime": 1535372986075,
      "elapsedShuffleTime": 1418,
      "elapsedMergeTime": 19,
      "elapsedReduceTime": 74
      }]
      }
      }
      

      As you can see "type" property has duplicates:
      "type": "reduceTaskAttemptInfo"

      "type": "REDUCE"

      It's lead to an error during parsing response body as JSON is not valid.

      When we use application/xml we get the following response:

      <taskAttempts>
      <taskAttempt xmlns:xsi="[http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance]" xsi:type="reduceTaskAttemptInfo"><startTime>1535372984638</startTime><finishTime>1535372986149</finishTime><elapsedTime>1511</elapsedTime><progress>100.0</progress><id>attempt_1535363926925_0040_r_000003_0</id><rack>/default-rack</rack><state>SUCCEEDED</state><status>reduce > reduce</status><nodeHttpAddress>[node2.cluster.com:8044|http://node2.cluster.com:8044]</nodeHttpAddress><diagnostics/><type>REDUCE</type><assignedContainerId>container_e01_1535363926925_0040_01_000006</assignedContainerId><shuffleFinishTime>1535372986056</shuffleFinishTime><mergeFinishTime>1535372986075</mergeFinishTime><elapsedShuffleTime>1418</elapsedShuffleTime><elapsedMergeTime>19</elapsedMergeTime><elapsedReduceTime>74</elapsedReduceTime></taskAttempt>
      </taskAttempts>
      

      Take a look at the following string:

      <taskAttempt xmlns:xsi="[http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance]" xsi:type="reduceTaskAttemptInfo">
      

      We got "xsi:type" attribute which incorectly marshall later to duplicated field if we use JSON format.

      It acceptable only to REDUCE task. For MAP task we get xml without "xsi:type" attribute.

      <taskAttempts>
      <taskAttempt>
      <startTime>1535370756528</startTime>
      <finishTime>1535370760318</finishTime>
      <elapsedTime>3790</elapsedTime>
      <progress>100.0</progress>
      <id>attempt_1535363926925_0029_m_000001_0</id>
      <rack>/default-rack</rack>
      <state>SUCCEEDED</state>
      <status>map > sort</status>
      <nodeHttpAddress>[node2.cluster.com:8044|http://node2.cluster.com:8044]</nodeHttpAddress>
      <diagnostics/>
      <type>MAP</type>
      <assignedContainerId>container_e01_1535363926925_0029_01_000003</assignedContainerId>
      </taskAttempt>
      </taskAttempts>
      
      

      This happens since we have two different hierarchical classes for MAP >TaskAttemptInfo and REDUCE > ReduceTaskAttemptInfo tasks.

      ReduceTaskAttemptInfo extends TaskAttemptInfo, later we marshal all tasks (map and reduce) by TaskAttemptsInfo.getTaskAttempt(). In this place, we do not have any information about ReduceTaskAttemptInfo type as we store all tasks in ArrayList<TaskAttemptInfo>. 

      During marshaling we see that actual type of task ReduceTaskAttemptInfo instead of TaskAttemptsInfo and add meta information for this. That's why we get duplicated fields.

      Unfortunately we do not catch it before in TestHsWebServicesAttempts since we use 

      org.codehaus.jettison.json.JSONObject library which overrides duplicated fields. Even when we use Postman to do request we get valid JSON. Only when we change represent type to Raw we can notice this issue. Also, we able to reproduce this bug by using "org.json:json" lib:

      Something like this:

      BufferedReader inReader = new BufferedReader( new InputStreamReader(connection.getInputStream() ) );
       String inputLine;
       StringBuilder response = new StringBuilder();
      
      while ( (inputLine = inReader.readLine()) != null ) {
       response.append(inputLine);
       }
      
      inReader.close();
      
      JSONObject o = new JSONObject(response.toString());
      

        Attachments

        1. MAPREDUCE-7133.001.patch
          19 kB
          Oleksandr Shevchenko
        2. MAPREDUCE-7133.002.patch
          19 kB
          Oleksandr Shevchenko
        3. MAPREDUCE-7133.003.patch
          21 kB
          Oleksandr Shevchenko
        4. MAPREDUCE-7133.004.patch
          23 kB
          Oleksandr Shevchenko
        5. MAPREDUCE-7133.005.patch
          4 kB
          Oleksandr Shevchenko

          Issue Links

            Activity

              People

              • Assignee:
                oshevchenko Oleksandr Shevchenko
                Reporter:
                oshevchenko Oleksandr Shevchenko
              • Votes:
                0 Vote for this issue
                Watchers:
                3 Start watching this issue

                Dates

                • Created:
                  Updated:
                  Resolved: