Affects Version/s: None
Fix Version/s: None
This issue has been seen with MapReduceV2, never with MapReduceV1 in our lab systems.
The parameter mapreduce.job.reduce.slowstart.completedmaps=0.05 (the default value).
We found Application master stuck in a deadlock between mappers and reducers with no progress in the job; the sequence appears to be:
1. Initial available map/reduce slots were allocated to mappers
2. Once mappers made progress and few of them completed, reducers started occupying few of the slots due to low values of above config param.
3. The scheduler appears to not give priority to mappers over reducers; after a while in our system we saw all slots occupied by reducers.
4. Since there were still mapper tasks not yet assigned any slot, the map phase never completed.
5. The system entered a deadlock state where reducers occupy all available slots, but are waiting for mappers to be complete; mappers cannot move forward because of no slot available.
The workaround in our system was to set
mapreduce.job.reduce.slowstart.completedmaps=1 and the issue was no longer seen.
|Status||Open [ 1 ]||Resolved [ 5 ]|
|Fix Version/s||2.0.0-alpha [ 12320354 ]|
|Resolution||Duplicate [ 3 ]|
|Transition||Time In Source Status||Execution Times||Last Executer||Last Execution Date|
|383d 7h 8m||1||Harsh J||03/Sep/13 07:41|