Affects Version/s: None
Fix Version/s: None
Some simple guides that demonstrate basic git principles and routine tasks (below). The guides are here:
1. how to clone and setup lucene/solr git repo for local work.
2. basic git concepts: branches, remote branches, references, staging area.
1. Checkout branch X, create local branch Y, modify something, create a diff for Jira.
2. Apply simple patches on (remote-tracking) branch X, without creating any intermediate branches. This also explains how to resolve conflicts, how to rebase, how to merge and what a fast-forward is.
1. Create a feature branch off branch X, develop the feature, then apply it back to X (as a single patch or a history of intermediate commits).
2. Create a feature branch off branch X, develop the feature, then apply it as a series of commits to X and Y (different branch).
3. Locate a historical SVN revision or tag/branch