- create an index with arbitrary content, and close it
- open IndexWriter again, and add a document with binary field (stored but not compressed)
- close IndexWriter without optimizing, so that the new document is in a separate segment.
- open IndexReader. You can read the last document and its binary field just fine.
- open IndexWriter, optimize the index, close IndexWriter
- open IndexReader. Now the field is still present (not null) and is marked as binary, but the data is not there - Field.getBinaryLength() returns 0.