As discussed with Onur offline, here are some things we could test / simulate:
- consumer kill -9 (tested in ConsumerTest)
- broker kill -9 (tested in ConsumerTest)
- consumer very long GC
- broker very long GC
- consumer network cable unplugged
- broker network cable unplugged
- consumer power cord unplugged
- broker power cord unplugged
Quoting Onur: " Another motivating factor is to verify if response.wasDisconnected is good enough or if we actually need consumers to detect coordinator failures with timeouts.
GC’s can be simulated with SIGSTOP and SIGCONT. I think we might be able to simulate network cable being unplugged with "ifconfig eth0 down”, but I’m not sure."