Affects Version/s: None
Fix Version/s: None
For a long time we had builds that ran on the Apache Infrastructure https://builds.apache.org/view/All/job/james-mailet/ .
The build infrastructure is not running for ~ 3 years now.
I believe it is important for us to have automated builds.
This ticket should gather the work needed to make this a reality.
There are lots of things to take into consideration.
My ( Ioan Eugen Stan ) opinions on how to handle this.
- builds should run automatically
- builds should run fast < 10 min
- there are several things they should do (not exhaustive)
- verify the source code
- compile the source code
- run the unit tests
- run the integration tests
- publish SNAPSHOTS (only from master or develop ?!)
- run code analytics
- publish reports relating to build
- provide build status for other services
For smaller projects this is a no-brainer.
For the current state of Apache James this is a challange, especially in the context of
- multiple git branches and PR's
- the distributed integration tests which take a long time
Given the limited resources available for us on the Apache infrastructure we will have to be selective of what we do.
Personally I don't see how we can run the current (40mni +) integration suite on each push / build. I'm pretty sure we will get banned or throttled.
So a discussion should be in order on how to solve these issues but some options regarding what we can do:
- make integration tests OPT-IN
- run (distributed) integration tests once a day or once every 6h / 12h
- have build profiles that build a common subset all the time and run
The nuclear option: prune some of the components we have in James and we don't want to support or move them out of the common project.
This is something we should consider especially for buggy components or for components that don't have a maintainer.
We have limited time and resources.
We can't maintain everything for everybody.
We should be mindful of this.
We can take inspiration from the OFBiz project https://builds.apache.org/view/All/job/Apache%20OFBiz/ .
|Provide a process around documentation publishing and deployment||In Progress||
|Update information for DOAP file - is outdated||Open||Unassigned||