added a comment - I'd like to have a go at this in the next week. Doing it requires:
- minimize clashing logins by renaming users in the Struts JIRA to equivalent (by email address) users in the main JIRA before import, to prevent duplication.
- email renamed users letting them know their Struts username has been renamed.
- creating things (custom fields, groups) in the main JIRA that the Project Importer won't work without.
- doing Project Imports in JIRA. The Project Importer locks everyone out of JIRA for the duration of the import, and as that is likely to take about 2 hours (just importing Struts 1 and 2 takes JIRA 30 and 20 minutes respectively), we should rather put a read-only copy of the main and Struts JIRAs up.
- reestablishing lost things like notification schemes, permission schemes, custom screens, issues-from-email, Subversion links.
- import (via SQL hackery) saved searches from Struts JIRA.
- import (more SQL hackery) copyright attachment info.
I noticed that XWork is partially imported (the attachments are missing) into the Struts JIRA, but hidden from non-admins. It will probably be easier to import it directly from jira.opensymphony.com.