Affects Version/s: None
Fix Version/s: None
Tags:CLI history tab completion readline jline
Add the following features to the Hive CLI:
- Command History
- ReadLine support
- HIVE-120: Add readline support/support for alt-based commands in the CLI
- Java-ReadLine is LGPL, but it depends on GPL readline library. We probably need to use JLine instead.
- Tab completion
HIVE-97: tab completion for hive cli
- Embedded/Standalone CLI modes, and ability to connect to different Hive Server instances.
HIVE-818: Create a Hive CLI that connects to hive ThriftServer
- .hiverc configuration file
HIVE-920: .hiverc doesnt work
- Improved support for comments.
HIVE-430: Ability to comment desired for hive query files
- Different output formats
HIVE-49: display column header on CLI
- XML output format
For additional inspiration we may want to look at the Postgres psql shell: http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/static/app-psql.html
Finally, it would be really cool if we implemented this in a generic fashion and spun it off as an apache-commons
shell framework. It seems like most of the Apache Hadoop projects have their own shells, and I'm sure the same is true
for non-Hadoop Apache projects as well.