1) Deprecate the HCatHBaseStorageHandler and "RevisionManager" from HCatalog. These will now continue to function but internally they will use the "DefaultStorageHandler" from Hive. They will be removed in future release of Hive.
2) Design a HivePassThroughFormat so that any new StorageHandler in Hive will bypass the HiveOutputFormat. We will use this class in Hive's "HBaseStorageHandler" instead of the "HiveHBaseTableOutputFormat".
3) Write new unit tests in the HCat's "storagehandler" so that systems such as Pig and Map Reduce can use the Hive's "HBaseStorageHandler" instead of the "HCatHBaseStorageHandler".
4) Make sure all the old and new unit tests pass without backward compatibility (except known issues as described in the Design Document).
5) Replace all instances of the HCat source code, which point to "HCatStorageHandler" to use the"HiveStorageHandler" including the "FosterStorageHandler".
I have attached the design document for the same and will attach a patch to this Jira.