Affects Version/s: 0.14.0
Fix Version/s: None
Hive HiveServer2 wiki
- need better wiki page doc for beeline outputformat option
- should explicitly say that "double quote characters" are used to enclose fields which need enclosing.
- Should describe the treatment of embedded double quote chars as "doubled"
The page at:
describes separated value outputformats csv/tsv/csv2/tsv2, etc.
I found doc to be inadequate and terminology to be confusing.
> These conform better to standard CSV convention, which adds quotes around a cell value
What kind of quotes? The only reference to quotes in this section refers to single quotes for the deprecated csv/tsv format.
The JIRA at
clarifies a bit:
- Old format quoted every field. New format quotes only fields that contain a delimiter or the quoting char.
- Old format quoted using single quotes, new format quotes using double quotes
- Old format didn't escape quotes in a field (a bug). New format does escape the quotes
However, neither this JIRA page nor the wiki page doc define what is meant by "escaping the quotes".
Q: In this context, does escaping mean "backslash escaping" or "double embedded double quotes" or something else?
Investigation of source code reveals that this is using SuperCSV.
SuperCSV does not support backslash-escape of embedded quotes. See last line of: