There's a few issues here:
What does fuse support:
- FUSE allows access to the user performing each operation.
- FUSE allows attributes and permissions to be retrieved and set.
What does fuse-dfs not support, but should:
- fuse-dfs should access the DFS as the requesting user "asuser" (thereby upholding the hadoop security model)
- fuse-dfs should allow permissions to be set & retrieved from the DFS
fuse-dfs is bound by the API provided by libhdfs. In this case, the missing features are:
- libhdfs should allow connection to the DFS as a given user
- libhdfs should allow permissions to be set and retrieved.
I propose splitting this JIRA up into several issues:
- fuse-dfs user impersonation
- fuse-dfs permissions set & get
And add the missing libhdfs dependent JIRA
- Allow connecting username to be specified in libhdfs
This JIRA will remain as an overview issue.