Drill provides a robust selection of test frameworks that have evolved to satisfy the needs of a variety of test cases. For newbies, however, the result is a bewildering array of ways to do basically the same thing: set up an embedded Drill cluster, run queries and check results.
Further, some key test settings are distributed: some are in the pom.xml file, some in config files stored as resources, some in hard-coded settings in base test classes.
Also, some test base classes helpfully set up a test cluster, but then individual tests need a different config, so they immediately tear down the default cluster and create a new one.
This ticket proposes a new test framework, available for new tests, that combines the best of the existing test frameworks into a single, easy-to-use package.
- Builder for the cluster
- Accept config-time options
- Accept run-time session and system options
- Specify number of Drillbits
- Simplified API for the most common options
- AutoCloseable for use in try-with-resources statements
- Integration with existing test builder classes
And so on.