There were a couple of issues that tripped me up while generating the release artifacts.
1. ant release complained in svnclean target about local.properties. I am always using this file, rather than $HOME/ ant.properties because I've got multiple branches on the same machine.
I tried moving the local.properties file to a different location, and then using ant -propertyfile, but it doesn't see that. We need to somehow make ant release accept local.properties.
2. ant release would fail in the builduserdocs target, complaining:
C:\derbyt\108\10.8\build.xml:2711: The following error occurred while executingthis line:
C:\derbyt\108\10.8\build.xml:2052: Execute failed: java.io.IOException: Cannot run program "ant" (in directory "c:\derbyt\108docs\10.8"): CreateProcess error=2,
The system cannot find the file specified.
This went away when I modified the executable name to ant.bat (and checked it in, or the build would have a 'M' in the version number).
We should either prompt for the ant executable, or figure out how to make this work.
I need to spend a little more time investigating this issue, for when I run in the command line, it finds 'ant.bat' when I issue 'ant'. Perhaps there's something specific to my environment.
3. the build process created a tools/ant/properties/release.properties file with inconsistent line-endings, and as a result, svn commit failed, and as a result of that, the tree was no longer clean and again the build had a version number with 'M'.
I think it might be possible to check for the result from the svn commit, and if failed, prompt the release manager to (a)bort, (c)ontinue. That way, I could open another window and resolve the inconsistent line-endings.
As it was, I took advantage of the setup on my machine that when I click on a dos or cygwin window, it switches to 'text select' mode, which halts the process running in the foreground.
4. ant release automatically set drdamaint version to 0.
In most cases, this would be ok, but we have a special situation with this build where drdamaint needed to be 1 for the fix for
DERBY-4236. We should make ant release retain the drdamaint version as is on the branch.
These issues might warrant their own jiras.