Derby
  1. Derby
  2. DERBY-3592

The Java 5 javadoc tool generates a spurious output line when digesting the doctitle element for the public api

    Details

    • Type: Bug Bug
    • Status: Closed
    • Priority: Minor Minor
    • Resolution: Won't Fix
    • Affects Version/s: 10.4.1.3
    • Fix Version/s: None
    • Component/s: Javadoc
    • Labels:
      None
    • Issue & fix info:
      Workaround attached

      Description

      The Java 5 javadoc tool seems to have a bug. This bug seems to be fixed in Java 6. The issue is discussed in the following email thread: http://www.nabble.com/some-comments-on-the-10.4-beta-distribution-td16408536.html#a16408536 which puts forward the following theory:

      "The exact same javadoc directive is used to build the jdbc3 and jdbc4 public apis. The spurious line turns up in the jdbc3 javadoc but not the jdbc4 javadoc. The jdbc3 javadoc is built with the Java 5 javadoc tool and the jdbc4 javadoc is built with the Java 6 javadoc tool. I think that the Java 5 javadoc tool may have a bug that was corrected in Java 6.

      What we're trying to do in this <doctitle> element is a bit tricky. We are trying to generate javadoc whose overview page has a title consisting of the Derby logo followed by some useful text. The <doctitle> element does not allow nested image elements, and we appear to have hacked around this by stuffing the image and text into a CDATA section. That CDATA section survives the Java 6 javadoc tool but is munged by the Java 5 javadoc tool.

      I can get rid of the spurious line at the cost of removing the Derby logo. That is, I get rid of the CDATA section and just put text inside the <doctitle> element like so:

      <Doctitle> Apache Derby $

      {major}

      .$

      {minor}

      API Documentation</Doctitle>

      I miss the pretty logo, but I think that the output without the logo looks better than the output with both the logo and the spurious line."

        Activity

        Hide
        Dag H. Wanvik added a comment -

        Resolving this to "won't fix". Rick, feel free to reopen if you still want to persue this.

        Show
        Dag H. Wanvik added a comment - Resolving this to "won't fix". Rick, feel free to reopen if you still want to persue this.
        Hide
        Tiago R. Espinha added a comment -

        Triaged for 10.5.2.

        • Lowered priority.
        • Checked workaround attached.
          This seems rather fixed and should probably be closed.
        Show
        Tiago R. Espinha added a comment - Triaged for 10.5.2. Lowered priority. Checked workaround attached. This seems rather fixed and should probably be closed.
        Hide
        Rick Hillegas added a comment -

        I am unassigning myself from this issue. I think the current behavior is better than the behavior in the beta. But if someone else would like to improve on this, they are welcome to.

        Show
        Rick Hillegas added a comment - I am unassigning myself from this issue. I think the current behavior is better than the behavior in the beta. But if someone else would like to improve on this, they are welcome to.
        Hide
        Daniel John Debrunner added a comment -

        I'm not sure this is a valid approach without some more investigation.

        The nightly builds of the javadoc do not seem to have any problem for the jdbc 3 pages so could this not be a problem specific to the environment used to create the beta?

        Or is is a bug on some specific jdk release?

        I added the logo and never saw any problems with generation of the pages.

        Show
        Daniel John Debrunner added a comment - I'm not sure this is a valid approach without some more investigation. The nightly builds of the javadoc do not seem to have any problem for the jdbc 3 pages so could this not be a problem specific to the environment used to create the beta? Or is is a bug on some specific jdk release? I added the logo and never saw any problems with generation of the pages.
        Hide
        Rick Hillegas added a comment -

        Merged 644417 from trunk to 10.4 branch at subversion revision 644419.

        Show
        Rick Hillegas added a comment - Merged 644417 from trunk to 10.4 branch at subversion revision 644419.
        Hide
        Rick Hillegas added a comment -

        Attaching derby-3592-01-removeImgTag.diff. This removes the derby logo from the doctitle of the public api and eliminates the spurious line in the jdbc3 javadoc. Committed at subversion revision 644417.

        Show
        Rick Hillegas added a comment - Attaching derby-3592-01-removeImgTag.diff. This removes the derby logo from the doctitle of the public api and eliminates the spurious line in the jdbc3 javadoc. Committed at subversion revision 644417.

          People

          • Assignee:
            Unassigned
            Reporter:
            Rick Hillegas
          • Votes:
            0 Vote for this issue
            Watchers:
            0 Start watching this issue

            Dates

            • Created:
              Updated:
              Resolved:

              Development