The eclipse plugin allows you to create multiple network server processes within the same project through a gap in the checking mechanism, but you can't close all those you create that way from within eclipse.
To duplicate do the following:
- setup the plugin and apply the eclipse nature to a project
- start network server on the default port.
- switch the port number using the derby preferences e.g. to 1528
- go to the derby task - you see that the networkserver start/stop is a toggle, and because last time you started a networkserver process, it is now on 'stop'. Run the 'stop Networkserver. This will fail, because network server is not running on port 1528, so cannot be stopped.
The toggle will now go back to 'start'.
- start networkserver on port 1528.
- trying this 'trick' in reverse - i.e. for the start - does not work, if the start fails, the toggle remains on 'start'.