Details

    • Type: Improvement Improvement
    • Status: Closed
    • Priority: Trivial Trivial
    • Resolution: Won't Fix
    • Affects Version/s: None
    • Fix Version/s: None
    • Component/s: Build System
    • Labels:
      None

      Description

      Attached patch improves the bootstrapping experience by giving just a bit more detail about what's going on.

      1. verbootstrap.diff
        1.0 kB
        Gabriel Farrell

        Activity

        Hide
        Noah Slater added a comment -

        Thanks for the patch, but I'm going to close as WONTFIX. The ./bootstrap used to work exactly like this, but I removed those messages because they're not needed. In some cased, the actions taken are not taken at all — if you're bootstrapping a previously bootstrapped source. Additionally, the change to the last message conflicts with the messages we output in various other places. Consistency is key!

        Show
        Noah Slater added a comment - Thanks for the patch, but I'm going to close as WONTFIX. The ./bootstrap used to work exactly like this, but I removed those messages because they're not needed. In some cased, the actions taken are not taken at all — if you're bootstrapping a previously bootstrapped source. Additionally, the change to the last message conflicts with the messages we output in various other places. Consistency is key!
        Hide
        Gabriel Farrell added a comment -

        Makes sense. No need for messages that might just confuse. My only concern is on slower systems where an executed "./bootstrap" will sit for quite a while with no output, leading one to wonder if any progress is being made.

        As for the final message, I was hoping to correct the comma splice, but I'll bow to consistency.

        Show
        Gabriel Farrell added a comment - Makes sense. No need for messages that might just confuse. My only concern is on slower systems where an executed "./bootstrap" will sit for quite a while with no output, leading one to wonder if any progress is being made. As for the final message, I was hoping to correct the comma splice, but I'll bow to consistency.
        Hide
        Noah Slater added a comment -

        Good points, but I'm not convinced this is enough of an issue to complicate the script any more than it already is. Thanks for the patch though, again. Feel free to suggest some other improvements to the build!

        Show
        Noah Slater added a comment - Good points, but I'm not convinced this is enough of an issue to complicate the script any more than it already is. Thanks for the patch though, again. Feel free to suggest some other improvements to the build!

          People

          • Assignee:
            Unassigned
            Reporter:
            Gabriel Farrell
          • Votes:
            0 Vote for this issue
            Watchers:
            0 Start watching this issue

            Dates

            • Created:
              Updated:
              Resolved:

              Development