Apache OpenOffice is the leading open source desktop office suite. Our most recent release has had over 40 million downloads.
OpenOffice used internally a universal content broker  to provide access on file contents. It's a very generic concept and it can be extended by providing additional content providers (UCP) . Such a UCP can be provided as an optional extension or bundled directly with the office. It doesn't matter for the scope of this project and the main idea is to implement a new UCP for accessing files in a content management system supporting the OASIS standard CMIS .
The scope of this project is:
1. Implement a new CMIS UCP using the Apache Chemistry library 
2. Implement a new sidebar panel to provide an easy navigation of CMIS supporting CMS and the support of some basic CMS typical functions like check-in, check-put of documents, open and editing of files, versioning etc.
– Java programming ("Core Java"), good working knowledge, but don't need to be a guru or anything
– open minded to learn something new, the office API and some basic concepts regarding the underlying component technology
– open to have fun with one of the biggest open source projects