When I was testing the dataset_processor module I noticed that most tests would complete in less than 1 second. Then I came across the "test_daily_to_monthly_rebin" test and it would take over 2 minutes to complete.
The test initially used a 1x1 degree grid covering the globe and daily time step for 2 years (730 days).
I ran some initial checks and the lag appears to be down in the code where the data is rebinned down in '_rcmes_calc_average_on_new_time_unit_K'.
That block is suspect since the rest of the code is doing simple string parsing and appending to lists. I don't have the time to do a deep dive into this now, and it technically isn't broken, but just really slow.