The Apache Cordova Project supports an ambitious range of mobile operating systems. Currently, the team has no choice but to manually test across an incredible array of physical mobile devices. Modern continuous integration systems are beginning to think about mobile but remain blunt tools for an acute problem.
The ideal system would monitor the git repos at the asf for a change to the src of any of the "big four" mobile operating systems the system would:
- check the src out to an appropriate build env
- compile a test app (likely based on the apache cordova test suite)
- install a platform agnostic testing app to a target mobile device (emulator or meatspace device)
- launch the testing app onto the targets
- instantiate the testing app on the targets
- aggregate the statistics of success build/install/launch run ceremony, and the accompanying testing app PASS/FAIL stats
Early feedback is a key to successful release cadence. This project will be revolutionary mobile first continuous integration system designed for native and hybrid mobile development environments.