Resolution: Won't Fix
Fix Version/s: None
RHEL 4.X, 5.X
Cassandra is a distributed system. This nature makes it harder for developers and testers to rapidly develop and test applications without proper hardware and network setups. It is particular hard for testing, when we want to know how system behaves under stressed network conditions, hardware changes and failures, and many other scenarios. The motivations of the building a Cassandra simulator is to provide a tool to simplify procedures to achieve above needs.
Simulator is a separate project from Canssandra main project. It does not insert and/or modify any code in Cassandra main project, rather it operates as an additional service in Cassandra node(See enclosed doc for details). Simulator can be started in two modes: Simulated mode and "pure" Cassandra mode. The design Requirements of the simulator are:
- To simulate multiple node operations within single linux box
- To simulate Hardware conditions, such as adding new nodes, node out of service, etc.
- To simulate network conditions, message delays, drops, etc.
- To carry out read/write operations at the simulated environment
- To provide APIs to access logging information