it seems that the Deflate Compressor corrupts the SSTables. 3 out of 3 Installations were corrupt. Snappy works fine.
Here is what I did:
1. Start a single cassandra node (I was using ByteOrderedPartitioner)
2. Write data into cf that uses deflate compression - I think it has to be enough data so that the data folder contains some files.
3. When I now try to read (I did a range scan) from my application, it fails and the logs show corruptions:
Caused by: org.apache.cassandra.io.compress.CorruptedBlockException: (/home/cspriegel/Development/cassandra1/data/Test/Response-h-2-Data.db): corruption detected, chunk at 0 of length 65536.