I ran ./gradlew spark-pkg on Debian 9 and Ubuntu 16.04 and came across the following error:
+ /usr/bin/R CMD check --as-cran --no-tests SparkR_2.4.5.tar.gz
* using log directory ‘/home/vagrant/bigtop/output/spark/spark-core-2.4.5/R/SparkR.Rcheck’
* using R version 3.3.3 (2017-03-06)
* using platform: x86_64-pc-linux-gnu (64-bit)
* using session charset: UTF-8
* using options ‘--no-tests --as-cran’
* checking for file ‘SparkR/DESCRIPTION’ ... OK
* checking extension type ... Package
* this is package ‘SparkR’ version ‘2.4.5’
* checking CRAN incoming feasibility ...Error in .check_package_CRAN_incoming(pkgdir) :
dims [product 24] do not match the length of object 
debian/rules:33: recipe for target 'override_dh_auto_build' failed
make: *** [override_dh_auto_build] Error 1
make: Leaving directory '/home/vagrant/bigtop/output/spark/spark-core-2.4.5'
debian/rules:30: recipe for target 'binary' failed
make: *** [binary] Error 2
dpkg-buildpackage: error: fakeroot debian/rules binary gave error exit status 2
debuild: fatal error at line 1116:
dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -us -uc -b
> Task :spark-deb FAILED
FAILURE: Build failed with an exception.
This error has already been reported as
As commented in that issue, R prior to 3.4 seems to cause this problem. Debian 9 and Ubuntu 16.04 uses 3.3.3 and 3.2.3 respectively, and this error doesn't occur at least on CentOS 7 (R 3.6.0) and Debian 10 (R 3.5.2).
I think we can disable the --as-cran option temporally as mentioned here and bring it back when we drop Debian 9 and Ubuntu 16.04 support, because we're not going to publish any artifact to CRAN.