I was working on a unittest to run the java example of a tethered map reduce job (see Issue #512). While doing so I ran into a couple of issues. I was able to work around the issues and will submit a patch but I'm not sure my fixes were correct. The issues are below.
1) A deadlock appears to occur if the subprocess can't start. This happens because the parent process is waiting for the childProcess to send the configure command, which it can't do if the process failed to start. I solved this by adding some code to TetheredProcess to check if the subprocess has already exited.
2) The tethered classes don't provide a way to pass command line arguments to the program executed to start the subprocess. I solved this by adding some appropriate keys to the job configuration XML file to specify a) the executable, b) the command line arguments and c) whether or not the executable should be distributed via the DistributeCache mechanism to all the nodes.
3) I ran into some communication problems between the child and parent processes. These seemed to be because the child was using "Sasl" for the protocol but the parent was using "Socket" (e.g SocketServer, SocketTransciever).
4) In TetherJob.setupJob I needed to set the MapOutputKeyClass to TetherData; otherwise I was getting an error about the mapper expecting type AvroKey for the data but getting type TetherData.
5) During the sort phase when it called compare on the keys I was getting an exception (stack trace below). I think this is because the buffer collecting the output from the mapper wasn't being flushed. I was able to "solve" this problem by forcing a flush in TetherKeySerializer.serialize. My limited knowledge of the innards of map/reduce avro lead me to believe this is a less than ideal solution. I would imagine that during the M/R job, a flush should be occurring at the end of the map phase and that should make it unnecessary to invoke flush each time serialize is invoked.
|Status||Resolved [ 5 ]||Closed [ 6 ]|
|Status||Open [ 1 ]||Resolved [ 5 ]|
|Resolution||Fixed [ 1 ]|
|Fix Version/s||1.6.0 [ 12316198 ]|
|Affects Version/s||1.5.1 [ 12316197 ]|
|Affects Version/s||1.6.0 [ 12316198 ]|