Avro
  1. Avro
  2. AVRO-664

Ruby server takes a long time to start in interop tests

    Details

    • Type: Bug Bug
    • Status: Closed
    • Priority: Major Major
    • Resolution: Fixed
    • Affects Version/s: 1.4.0
    • Fix Version/s: 1.4.1
    • Component/s: ruby
    • Labels:
      None
    • Environment:

      Ubuntu Lucid Lynx

      Description

      The ruby server uses a wrong key in the config (:Host instead of :BindAddress) which cause Socket::getaddrinfo() take up to 15 seconds. The shell script which starts the server waits for jist 1 second and test fails abruptly.

      1. AVRO-664.patch
        1 kB
        Thiruvalluvan M. G.

        Activity

        Hide
        Thiruvalluvan M. G. added a comment -

        The patch addresses both the problems.

        It fixes the name in tools.rb and makes the shell script wait for variable amount of time (up to 60 seconds). Either of the fixes is actually sufficient. But I thought an extra level of protection will not hurt.

        Show
        Thiruvalluvan M. G. added a comment - The patch addresses both the problems. It fixes the name in tools.rb and makes the shell script wait for variable amount of time (up to 60 seconds). Either of the fixes is actually sufficient. But I thought an extra level of protection will not hurt.
        Hide
        Doug Cutting added a comment -

        +1

        I slightly prefer the ruby change alone, since it keeps the test script simpler and may help to identify other future such issues, but, on the other hand, if we leave the test script alone it may sometimes fail spuriously.

        Show
        Doug Cutting added a comment - +1 I slightly prefer the ruby change alone, since it keeps the test script simpler and may help to identify other future such issues, but, on the other hand, if we leave the test script alone it may sometimes fail spuriously.
        Hide
        Thiruvalluvan M. G. added a comment - - edited

        Thanks Doug for reviewing the patch.

        Increasing from 1 second time-out previously to 60 seconds in the patch appears too excessive. As Doug pointed out some serious problems may go unnoticed. I set the limit to 10 seconds in steps of 1-second and then committed revision 996877.

        Show
        Thiruvalluvan M. G. added a comment - - edited Thanks Doug for reviewing the patch. Increasing from 1 second time-out previously to 60 seconds in the patch appears too excessive. As Doug pointed out some serious problems may go unnoticed. I set the limit to 10 seconds in steps of 1-second and then committed revision 996877.

          People

          • Assignee:
            Thiruvalluvan M. G.
            Reporter:
            Thiruvalluvan M. G.
          • Votes:
            0 Vote for this issue
            Watchers:
            0 Start watching this issue

            Dates

            • Created:
              Updated:
              Resolved:

              Development