I was having difficulty running ./configure to set up ActiveMQ. I am running Red Hat Linux Enterprise 5 at Sandia National Labs.
There were two problems. First, the apr version I had on my machine, after installing apache web server 2.2, was version 1.4.2. The variable APR_VER_REGEXES was set up so 1.3.* was expected, and 1.4.* was not. The documentaion indicates that version 1.4.2 should be sufficiently advanced.
Second, the apr util version I had was 1.3.9. When I changed APR_VER_REGEXES to expect 1.4., it started reporting that I had the wrong apr util version, even though I still had APU_VER_REGEXES set to expect 1.3.
It turned out that there was an incorrect line, which worked okay if apr and apr util had the same version. The original line was:
if test `expr $apr_version : $apu_wanted_regex` -ne 0; then
the corrected line is
if test `expr $apu_version : $apu_wanted_regex` -ne 0; then
notice that the apr version (apr_version) was being compared to the apr util expected regular expression (apu_wanted_regex). I fixed it by changing apr_version in the line to apu_version.